Permanent Resident eiju VISA/Immigration Assistance, Tokyo

VISA Process Family VISA Work VISA Status List Inquiry Office Japanese   Nyukan Assist

TOP > LIST of "Status of Residence" > "Permanent Resident"

"Permanent Resident"

"Permanent Resident" or /eiju-sha/ in Japanese is one of the "Status of Residence" defined in the Japanese Immigration law.

Duration of this status is indefinite, that is a person who is granted with this status can stay in Japan permanently unless he/she has any other impediment.

Requirements by Immigration Law

(1) The person is of good conduct.
The person observes Japanese laws and his/her daily living as a resident does not invite any social criticism.

(2) The person has sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living.
The person does not financially depend on someone in the society in his daily life, and his/her assets or ability, etc. are assumed to continue to provide him/her with a stable base of livelihood into the future.

(3) The person’s permanent residence is regarded to be in accord with the interests of Japan.

a) In principle, the person has stayed in Japan for more than 10 years consecutively. It is also required that during his/her stay in Japan the person has had work permit or the status of residence for more than 5 years consecutively.
b) The person has been never sentenced to a fine or imprisonment. The person fulfills public duties such as tax payment.
c) The maximum period of stay allowed for the person with his/her current status of residence under Annexed Table 2 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act is to be fully utilized.
d) There is no possibility that the person could do harm from the viewpoint of protection of public health.

※ The requirements (1) and (2) above do not apply to spouses and children of Japanese nationals, special permanent residents or permanent residents, and requirement (2) does not apply for those who have been recognized as refugees

Special requirements for 10-year residence in principle

(1) The person is a spouse of a Japanese national, special permanent resident or permanent resident, and has been in a real marital relationship for more than 3 years consecutively and has stayed in Japan more than 1 year consecutively. Or, the person is a true child of a Japanese national, special permanent resident or permanent resident, and has stayed in Japan more than 1 year consecutively.

(2) The person has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years consecutively with the status of long term resident.

(3) The person has been recognized as a refugee, and has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years consecutively after recognition.

(4) The person has been recognized to have made a contribution to Japan in diplomatic, social, economic, cultural or other fields, and has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years.

(Note) In these guidelines, for the time being, any person whose period of stay is “three years” shall be regarded as a “person who is allowed to stay up to the maximum period of stay”, as specified in the above Section 1 (3) c).


Where to apply

tokyo nyukan

An application can be submitted at an immigration bureau or its branch where an applicant lives.

Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
(Tokyo Nyukan or Nyukoku-Kanri-kyoku)
5-5-30 Konan, Minato-Ku, Tokyo

Necessary Documents (in case an applicant is a spouse of Japanese)

Application Form Application Form with a photo
Koseki Tohon Certificate of Family Register ('koseki-tohon')
ju-min-hyo Certificate of Resident Registration ('jumin-hyo')
Tax Certificate Tax Certificate issued by a municipal office
Certificate of Employment Certificate of Employment
if an applicant is employed
Business License Business License
if an applicant runs his/her own business and a license is required
Letter of Guarantee Letter of Guarantee
Letter of Reason Letter of Reason/Riyusho
to explain why you want to be a permanent resident
Passport Passport
Residence Card Residence Card or Alien Registration Card

Necessary documents vary from case to case. These documents are just samples.

List of "Status of Residence"
Table I (1)
Diplomat Official Professor Artist Religious Activities Journalist
Table I (2) Business Manager   Legal/Accounting Services   Medical Services   Researcher   Instructor   Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services   Intracompany Transferee   Entertainer   Skilled Labor  
Table I (3) Cultural Activities Temporary Visitor
Table I (4) Student Pre-college Student Trainee Dependent
Table I (5) Designated Activities
Table II Permanent Resident Spouse or Child of Japanese national Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident Long Term Resident
Special Permanent Resident Special Permanent Resident

Immigration Assistance

As a registered immigration/visa specialist or "Gyoseishoshi", we can offer various services related to immigration procedures.

Services we can offer are

Consultation - to find out Status of Residence/Procedures that may best suit you and/or your family member, etc.
Documentation - to prepare and/or advice the documents you need to submit to the Immigration Bureau
Representation/Agency - to submit the documents and communicate with the Immigration Bureau on your behalf

and so forth.

Please let us know your situation. Inquiry Form(Permanent Residency)

Followings are quotations from the immigration law/ordinance of the web site of Japanese government. However some of them were quoted before the revision in 2012. Therefore they might be old and different from the present rule.

Personal Status or Position for Which Residence is Authorized (Appended Table II, Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act)
本邦において有する身分又は地位(出入国管理及び難民認定法 別表第二)

Those who are permitted permanent residence by the Minister of Justice.





Period of Stay (Appended Table II)
在留期間(出入国管理及び難民認定法施行規則 別表第二)



Materials (Appended Table III)
資料(出入国管理及び難民認定法施行規則 別表第三)

Materials (Appended Table III (2))
資料(出入国管理及び難民認定法施行規則 別表第三の二)

Agent (Appended Table IV)
代理人(出入国管理及び難民認定法施行規則 別表第四)


第二十二条  在留資格を変更しようとする外国人で永住者の在留資格への変更を希望するものは、法務省令で定める手続により、法務大臣に対し永住許可を申請しなければならない。
2  前項の申請があつた場合には、法務大臣は、その者が次の各号に適合し、かつ、その者の永住が日本国の利益に合すると認めたときに限り、これを許可することができる。ただし、その者が日本人、永住許可を受けている者又は特別永住者の配偶者又は子である場合においては、次の各号に適合することを要しない。
一  素行が善良であること。
二  独立の生計を営むに足りる資産又は技能を有すること。
3  法務大臣は、前項の許可をする場合には、入国審査官に、当該許可に係る外国人が旅券を所持しているときは旅券に記載された在留資格及び在留期間をまつ消させた上当該旅券に永住許可の証印をさせ、旅券を所持していないときは永住を許可された旨を記載した在留資格証明書を交付させるものとする。この場合において、その許可は、当該証印又は交付のあつた時に、その効力を生ずる。

第二十二条の二  日本の国籍を離脱した者又は出生その他の事由により前章に規定する上陸の手続を経ることなく本邦に在留することとなる外国人は、第二条の二第一項の規定にかかわらず、それぞれ日本の国籍を離脱した日又は出生その他当該事由が生じた日から六十日を限り、引き続き在留資格を有することなく本邦に在留することができる。
2  前項に規定する外国人で同項の期間をこえて本邦に在留しようとするものは、日本の国籍を離脱した日又は出生その他当該事由が生じた日から三十日以内に、法務省令で定めるところにより、法務大臣に対し在留資格の取得を申請しなければならない。
3  第二十条第三項及び第四項の規定は、前項に規定する在留資格の取得の申請(永住者の在留資格の取得の申請を除く。)の手続に準用する。この場合において、第二十条第三項中「在留資格の変更」とあるのは、「在留資格の取得」と読み替えるものとする。
4  前条の規定は、第二項に規定する在留資格の取得の申請中永住者の在留資格の取得の申請の手続に準用する。この場合において、前条第一項中「在留資格を変更」とあるのは「在留資格を取得」と、「在留資格への変更」とあるのは「在留資格の取得」と、同条第三項中「旅券に記載された在留資格及び在留期間をまつ消させた上当該旅券に永住許可の証印」とあるのは「旅券に永住許可の証印」と読み替えるものとする。


第二十二条  法第二十二条第一項 の規定により永住許可を申請しようとする外国人は、別記第三十四号様式による申請書一通並びに次の各号に掲げる書類及びその他参考となるべき資料各一通を地方入国管理局に出頭して提出しなければならない。ただし、法第二十二条第二項 ただし書に規定する者にあつては第一号 及び第二号 に掲げる書類を、法第六十一条の二第一項 の規定により難民の認定を受けている者にあつては第二号 に掲げる書類を提出することを要しない。
一  素行が善良であることを証する書類
二  独立の生計を営むに足りる資産又は技能があることを証する書類
三  本邦に居住する身元保証人の身元保証書
2  第十九条第三項(受入れ機関等の職員に係る部分を除く。)並びに第二十条第三項及び第五項の規定は、前項の申請について準用する。この場合において、これらの項中「第一項」とあるのは「前項」と読み替えるものとする。
3  法第二十二条第三項 に規定する永住許可の証印の様式は、別記第三十五号様式又は別記第三十五号の二様式による。
4  法第二十二条第三項 に規定する在留資格証明書の様式は、別記第三十二号様式による。

第二十五条  法第二十二条の二第二項 (法第二十二条の三 において準用する場合を含む。)の規定により在留資格の取得を申請しようとする外国人のうち同条第四項 に規定する永住許可の申請をしようとするものは、別記第三十四号様式による申請書一通並びに第二十二条第一項及び前条第二項に掲げる書類及びその他参考となるべき資料各一通を地方入国管理局に出頭して提出しなければならない。この場合においては、第二十二条第一項ただし書の規定を準用する。
2  第十九条第三項並びに第二十条第三項及び第五項の規定は、前項の申請について準用する。この場合において、これらの項中「第一項」とあるのは「前項」と読み替えるものとする。
3  法第二十二条の二第四項 (法第二十二条の三 において準用する場合を含む。)において準用する法第二十二条第三項 に規定する永住許可の証印の様式は、別記第三十五号様式又は別記第三十五号の二様式による。
4  法第二十二条の二第四項 (法第二十二条の三 において準用する場合を含む。)において準用する法第二十二条第三項 に規定する在留資格証明書の様式は、別記第三十二号様式による。

第十九条  法第十九条第二項 の許可(以下「資格外活動許可」という。)を申請しようとする外国人は、別記第二十八号様式による申請書一通並びに当該申請に係る活動の内容を明らかにする書類及びその他参考となるべき資料各一通を地方入国管理局に出頭して提出しなければならない。
2  前項の申請に当たつては、次の各号に掲げる書類を提示しなければならない。この場合において、旅券又は在留資格証明書を提示することができない者にあつては、その理由を記載した書類一通を提出しなければならない。
一  旅券又は在留資格証明書
二  外国人登録法 (昭和二十七年法律第百二十五号)第五条第一項 の規定による登録証明書(以下「登録証明書」という。)若しくはその写し又は同法第四条の三第二項 の規定による登録原票記載事項証明書(以下「登録証明書等」という。)
3  前項の規定にかかわらず、地方入国管理局長において相当と認める場合には、外国人は、地方入国管理局に出頭することを要しない。この場合においては、次の各号に掲げる者(第一号及び第二号については、当該外国人から依頼を受けたもの)が、本邦にある当該外国人に代わつて前項に定める申請書等の提出及び前項に定める手続を行うものとする。
二  弁護士又は行政書士で所属する弁護士会又は行政書士会を経由してその所在地を管轄する地方入国管理局長に届け出たもの
三  当該外国人の法定代理人
4  資格外活動許可は、別記第二十九号様式による資格外活動許可書の交付によつて行うものとする。

第二十条  法第二十条第二項 の規定により在留資格の変更を申請しようとする外国人は、別記第三十号様式による申請書一通を地方入国管理局に出頭して提出しなければならない。
2  前項の申請に当たつては、申請に係る別表第三の上欄に掲げる在留資格に応じ、それぞれ同表の下欄に掲げる資料及びその他参考となるべき資料各一通を提出しなければならない。
3  前項の申請に当たつては、次の各号に掲げる書類を提示しなければならない。この場合において、旅券又は在留資格証明書を提示することができない者にあつては、その理由を記載した書類一通を提出しなければならない。
一  旅券又は在留資格証明書
二  登録証明書等
三  第十九条第四項の規定による資格外活動許可書の交付を受けている者にあつては、当該資格外活動許可書
4  第十九条第三項の規定は、第一項の申請について準用する。
5  前項の規定にかかわらず、外国人が疾病その他の事由により自ら出頭することができない場合には、当該外国人は、地方入国管理局に出頭することを要しない。この場合においては、当該外国人の親族又は同居者若しくはこれに準ずる者で地方入国管理局長が適当と認めるものが、本邦にある当該外国人に代わつて前項に定める申請書及び第二項に定める資料の提出を行うことができる。
6  法第二十条第四項 に規定する旅券への新たな在留資格及び在留期間の記載は、別記第三十一号様式又は別記第三十一号の二様式による証印によつて行うものとする。
7  法第二十条第三項 の規定により在留資格の変更の許可をする場合において、特定活動の在留資格への変更を許可するときは、法務大臣が個々の外国人について特に指定する活動を記載した別記第七号の四様式による指定書を交付するものとする。
8  法第二十条第四項 に規定する在留資格証明書の様式は、別記第三十二号様式による。

Specified visa
Spouse or Child of Japanese national 「日本人の配偶者等」
Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident 「永住者の配偶者等」
Long Term Resident 「定住者」
Designated Activities 「特定活動」

Permanent Residency
Permanent Resident 「永住者」
Special Permanent Resident 「特別永住者」

Working visa
Professor 「教授」
Artist 「芸術」
Religious Activities 「宗教」
Journalist 「報道」
Business Manager 「経営・管理」
Legal/Accounting Services 「法律・会計業務」
Medical Services 「医療」
Researcher 「研究」
Instructor 「教育」
Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/
International Services 「技術・人文知識・国際業務」

Intracompany Transferee 「企業内転勤」
Entertainer 「興行」
Skilled Labor 「技能」

General visa
Cultural Activities 「文化活動」
Student 「留学」
Pre-College Student 「就学」
Trainee 「研修」
Dependent 「家族滞在」

Visiting visa
Temporary Visitor 「短期滞在」

Diplomatic visa
Diplomat 「外交」

Official visa
Official 「公用」

Japanese VISA "Status of Residence" - Working VISA - Family VISA - Immigration Assistance Gyoseishoshi Tokyo Japan
東京都 足立区 荒川区 板橋区 江戸川区 大田区 葛飾区 北区 江東区 品川区 渋谷区 新宿区 杉並区 墨田区 世田谷区 台東区 中央区 千代田区 豊島区 中野区 練馬区 文京区 港区 目黒区

Apostille 外務省 ビザ・査証 法務省 入国管理局 総務省 東京都行政書士会 行政書士会連合会